Paraeducator Certificate Program
The Paraeducator Certificate Program offers statewide standards-based training for all paraeducators and supports a career growth ladder for those who wish to advance their career as a paraeducator or pursue a teaching profession.
During the 2019-20 school year, Highline will identify 14 hours of professional learning aligned to the Fundamental Course of Study (FCS) to paraeducators. These learning hours will primarily be offered during your contracted time, and some may be offered for extra pay after contract time.
- Minimum employment requirements
- Standards of practice
- Fundamental Course of Study (FCS)
- General paraeducator certificate
- Subject matter certificates in ELL and special education
- Advanced paraeducator certificate
Helpful Hints for FCS Hours:
- Sign-in Sheets: OSPI requires your signature/initials on the professional development sign-in sheet as proof of attendance. You may not receive hours if you do not sign in for each session date.
- FCS Forms: Complete all personal information of the in-service registration form (FCS form). All sections must be complete, and include a verification signature.
- Requesting credit for PD in your building: An administrator can apply to get hours for a professional learning that is being offered at your site by requesting clock hours using the linked form below. Read the important directions on how to apply.
Directions for requesting credit for PD
- Read the Fundamental Course of Study (FCS) to find the specific course study objective that aligns with the professional development.
- Fill out the PD request form
- Wait for approval from Deena Russo. Turning this form does not automatically grant your PD request. It must be approved.
Please note: This is our initial process until OSPI identifies a formalized process.