National Board Certification
National Board Certification was designed to develop, retain and recognize accomplished teachers and to generate ongoing improvement in schools nationwide. It is the most respected professional certification available in K-12 education.
- National Board Certification in Highline
- National Board Certification in Washington
- News & Announcements
We are an OSPI approved support provider for National Board Candidates. Pursuing National Board Certification is a voluntary process for teachers who have taught for 3 or more years. Here are more facts to know about the process in Highline:
- More than 175 Highline teachers have achieved certification.
- There 25 Certificate areas are available.
- Highline provides a financial support package as described in the Section 18.4 of the CBA.
- Highline Cohorts are facilitated by state trained Highline teacher leaders who are NBCT certified.
- To complete the process teachers submit 4 Components, consisting of a content assessment and 3 written portfolios.
- 13% of Highline Teachers are National Board Certified.
- Loans are available through OSPI.
The National Board for Professional Teaching Standards (NBPTS) recognizes Washington as a model state in recruitment, retention and support of candidates. Washington has a low attrition rate, high candidate volume, high quality candidate support and quality mentor training, as evidenced by the high achievement rate for first-time candidates. The NBPTS 2017 report stated that Washington is:
- 1st in the country in new NBCTs (1,435, 6 years in a row)
- 2nd in renewed NBCTs (533)
- 3rd in percentage of teachers who are NBCTs (17.29%)
- 3rd in total number of NBCTs (10,018)
- 9th highest applicant volume in country
- Lowest attrition rate in the country (9 percent)
Washington's attrition rate for candidates in Title I (high poverty) schools is much lower than that for non-Title I schools.
Registration is now open for the 2018 WEA National Board Jump Start. The nearest location is Snohomish, July 30-August 2. It is recommended at all new candidates attend.
Member cost: $250
For more information on choosing your certificate area and information on registering with National Boards go to the National Board Certified Teachers website to begin your journey.
Cohorts for the 2018-19 school year are open. Please sign up on the PD calendar.
If you have any questions contact Barbara Edwards.
In the 2017-18 school year, support for retake candidates was not available. The priority was first-time candidates, and the $100,000 for certification support was exhausted before all first-time candidates received a stipend.
Are you doing retakes and want to talk to a facilitator? Please contact Barbara Edwards
Valerie Anderson, Yanina Aronova, Jennifer Bathelt, Brittany Beaumont, Heather Boswell, Joseph Boyer, AJ Campanelli, Helen Cantero, Wendy Colmus, Melissa Cook, Amanda Coy, Emily Davis, Sarah Gerhardt, Marylou Gomez, Shannon Halliday, Alison Henry, Carrie Howell, Jessica Ingersoll, Satprit Kaur, Ann Kelly, Anna Kramer, Stacie Latimer, Denise Lund, Kelsie Maney, Kiimberly Meschter, Amy Moore, Angela Nguyen, Jennifer Osgood, Jodie Ptak, Desiree Robinette, Justine Simkins, Alexandria Skagen, Stefani Skiljan, Beth Solan, Amber Swim, Kaia Tomokiyo, Sara Ullmer, Linda Wasser Tiffany, Paige Zentner
Dr. Christie Brown, Amy Flanigan-Zadra, Patricia Larson, Kari Mansfield, Jolly Meloottu, Lauren Monroe, Shauna Pierson