Equity Symposium and Kickoff
On August 27 and 28, 2019, staff will come together for a powerful day of learning at our second annual Equity Symposium and Kickoff.
All staff will attend. For classified staff working on a 9- or 10-month calendar, it is an optional, paid workday.
Secondary school-based staff and operations*
Mount Rainier High School
*Includes school-based secondary staff and all staff under Chief Operations Officer (Athletics, Facilities, Nutrition Services, Transportation, Security, PAC)
7:15 a.m. - Departure of Last Shuttle
8:00 a.m. - Welcome with Superintendent Enfield
9:15 a.m. - Equity Symposium
12:45 p.m. - Transition to worksite/school & lunch on your own
2:00 p.m. - Team/School Meetings
Elementary school-based staff and Central Office
Mount Rainier High School
*Includes classified and Central Office staff, except Operations staff
7:45 a.m. - Departure of Last Shuttle
8:30 a.m. - Welcome with Superintendent Enfield
10:00 a.m. - Equity Symposium
1:15 p.m. - Transition to worksite/school & lunch on your own
2:30 p.m. - Team/School Meetings
Download the Session Schedule
To view and choose your sessions for the day, preview the symposium schedule on the Sched mobile app (download links below). Please download prior to arriving at the Equity Symposium and Kickoff.
You can also view the schedule on a web browser
All staff will attend an anti-bias session and one elective. There are three anti-bias session options:
- Understanding Bias in the Workplace and in Schools
- Addressing Bias in the Workplace and in Schools
- Addressing Bias in the Workplace and in Schools as People of Color
- Once downloaded, you will be prompted to search for your event.
- Search for "Equity Symposium."
- Choose the event that corresponds with your event date:
- 2019 Highline Equity Symposium - August 27 (Secondary school-based staff and Operations) or
- 2019 Highline Equity Symposium - August 28 (Elementary school-based staff and Central Office)
- You can create your own unique login and register for your preferred sessions. This will give yourself an easy guide of where to go during your day and allow presenters to plan accordingly. Registering does not guarantee your seat. Please select a second session choice in case your first choice is full.
Please see the below transportation plan for the Equity Symposium & Kickoff. Mount Rainier High School parking will be reserved for MRHS staff, presenters and symposium staff.
On Tuesday, August 27 buses will depart at 7:15 a.m. from each middle school and high school.
- Operations staff and staff in programs at Woodside will be picked-up at PSSC.
- Pacific Middle School staff will park at their school and walk to Mount Rainier High School.
- Athletics, Nutrition Services and PAC staff will be picked up at Central Office.
- All other schools will be bused from their school locations, including Glacier Middle School.
On Wednesday, August 28 buses will depart at 7:45 a.m. from each elementary school.
- Midway staff will park at their school and walk to Mount Rainier High School.
- Central Office staff will be picked up at Central Office.
- All other schools will be bused from their school locations, including Des Moines Elementary School.
Join the Conversation
Use #HighlineEquity to share your thoughts and new learning from the Equity Symposium.
The Equity Symposium is an opportunity to learn from each other with a focus on racial equity. Attendees will participate in a session focused on implicit bias and will select an additional 90 minute session to attend. Our colleagues from Highline and beyond will present on a range of topics to challenge us to deepen our capacity for equity.