STEPS TO EARN Clock Hours:
- Register for activity: In order to be eligible to receive clock hours for a clock-hour event, you must register for the activity. Please see video on how to navigate Professional Growth and register for activities
- Participate in the activity: Attend the activity.
For asynchronous activities, complete all required assignments.
- Complete the Professional Learning Evaluation Form: Once you have participated in the activity, you must complete a Professional Learning Evaluation Form located under your Learning Plan in Frontline Professional Growth.
For asynchronous activities, the Professional Learning Evaluation form will be available once completion of all assignments and attendance has been confirmed by the instructor.
- Verify clock hours are posted on Learning Plan: The activity instructor will take attendance and complete the activity to grant clock hours upon completion of the course and evaluation form. Check your learning plan after 3-5 days to ensure the hours are reflected on your transcript.
Offering Clock Hours:
If you are interested in offering clock hours for a professional learning activity, please submit a clock hour proposal in Frontline Professional Growth.
You must be an approved clock hour provider to offer clock hours for a PD. If you'd like to become an approved provider, please submit a become an approved provider form request in Frontline Professional Growth.
Clock hour providers: In accordance with state guidelines, all certificated and FCS clock hour proposals submitted by clock hour providers after the event has occurred will be denied.
All certificated educators are placed on the salary schedule, with advancement based on years of service and education level. One step on the schedule is earned for every 45 credit hours or 450 clock hours (or a combination). In order to advance after BA+90 you must earn an MA.
Contact Human Resources employee services with questions on salary advancement.
Continuing Education is a requirement for all certificated educators in Washington. Once you achieve professional certification, renewal is earned through continuing education in one of several ways:
- 100 Clock hours every 5 years
- 4 Annual Professional Growth Plans every 5 years (NEW)
- 10 Quarter credits/6.7 semester credits every 5 years
- Some combination of the above
- A valid National Board Certificate
After you have completed the 28 hours of the Fundamental Course of Study (FCS), 70 additional general clock hours must be completed to earn the General Paraeducator Certificate. Continuing education credit hours, known as clock hours, are for Washington educators who want to earn and keep track of professional development. Training provided to meet the requirements of the general certificate and the advanced certificate must come from approved clock hour providers.
- General Paraeducator Certificate - Required
- FCS - 28 hours
- General Clock Hours - 70 hours
- ELL Special Subject Matter Certificate - Optional, 20 hours
- SPED Special Subject Matter Certificate - Optional, 20 hours
- Advanced Paraeducator Certificate - Optional, 75 hours
Please visit our Paraeducator Certificate page for detailed information.
Here is more information about the role of clock hours in the paraeducator certificate program from the Professional Educators Standards Board.
Seeking Clock Hours for work related to your individual Professional Growth Plan? Check out information provided by the Professional Educators Standards Board on how you can do this. Please note, these hours are not initiated or tracked through Frontline.