Department of Retirement Systems (DRS)
Eligible Highline Public Schools employees participate in the Washington State retirement plan, which includes an employer contribution. Watch this great video to learn about the different State retirement plans!
Helpful forms and links:
- Plan Choice Booklet for new hire enrollment
- District resignation/retirement form
- Department of Retirement Systems (DRS) website
- DRS Forms
- Public Employee Retirement Systems PERS Info
- Teachers Retirement Systems TRS Info
- School Employees Retirement System SERS Info
New DRS webinars are now available!
It's never to early to start saving for retirement. Take control of your financial future by learning about retirement with DRS webinars.
Visit https://www.drs.wa.gov/education/webinar.html to reserve a spot.
Upcoming Retirement Seminars:
At you interested in learning more about your retirement options? You're invited to attend our upcoming annual retirement seminars. All seminars will be hosted in the Central Office Boardroom. Please follow the links below to learn more and register.
VEBA and PEBB seminar: April 1st 4 PM-6 PM
Social Security seminar: May 20th 4:30 PM- 5:45 PM
Retiring from Highline Public Schools
Thinking about Retiring? Please review our Retiree Info Packet to learn about the District retirement procedures and your health insurance options after retirement.
Follow these important steps to separate from the District and retire with Washington state:
- Request an official benefit estimate and complete a pension application with DRS. You can do this securely through your online account at www.drs.wa.gov, or by calling DRS at 1-800-547-6657. Complete this 30 - 90 days before retirement.
- Complete a Resignation Form signed by your supervisor, and submit to your Human Resources Employee Services Specialist.
- If you're enrolling in PEBB health care coverage, send your retiree coverage election form to the Health Care Authority (HCA) no later than 60 days after your district or COBRA coverage ends. If you choose an alternate qualified health plan, you must notify HCA that you are waiving your right to the PEBB program or you give up all rights to the program at a later date.
Review the full DRS Retirement Planning Checklist.
Wondering when you should retire during the year? Read this DRS article on how your retirement date could effect your pension.