Department of Retirement Systems (DRS)
Eligible Highline Public Schools employees participate in the Washington State retirement plan, which includes an employer contribution. Watch this great video to learn about the different State retirement plans!
Helpful forms and links:
- Plan Choice Booklet for new hire enrollment
- District resignation/retirement form
- Department of Retirement Systems (DRS) website
- DRS Forms
- Public Employee Retirement Systems PERS Info
- Teachers Retirement Systems TRS Info
- School Employees Retirement System SERS Info
New DRS webinars are now available!
It's never to early to start saving for retirement. Take control of your financial future by learning about retirement with DRS webinars.
Visit https://www.drs.wa.gov/education/webinar.html to reserve a spot.
DRS plan 2 and plan 3 seminar on March 26, 2020: CANCELLED
• DRS has many different webinars that are always available on their website. They can be found at https://www.drs.wa.gov/education/webinar/
• If you had scheduled a time to meet with the DRS representative on April 10th and would like to schedule a web based meeting please reach out to email@example.com
VEBA and PEBB seminar on April 1, 2020: CANCELLED
A variety of online resources are now available:
• Watch a recording of the PEBB presentation
• 2020 PEBB Retiree Enrollment Guide
• VEBA is hosting a webinar on April 7th, 2020 at 4PM. Please sign up here.
• VEBA general information handout.
Social Security seminar: May 20th 4:30 PM- 5:45 PM
The Social Security Seminar is planned to take place at the Central Office Boardroom.
• Please register for the Social Security Seminar here.
During this seminar you will learn about:
- Retirement Benefits and Eligibility Requirements
- What Early Retirement Does To Your Benefits
- How do you qualify for Disability, Survivor, and Spouse Benefits
- How to use your my Social Security Online Account and other Online Services
- What is the future of Social Security
- Understand How To Get The Most From Your Benefit
Retiring from Highline Public Schools
Thinking about Retiring? Please review our Retiree Info Packet to learn about the District retirement procedures and your health insurance options after retirement.
Follow these important steps to separate from the District and retire with Washington state:
- Request an official benefit estimate and complete a pension application with DRS. You can do this securely through your online account at www.drs.wa.gov, or by calling DRS at 1-800-547-6657. Complete this 30 - 90 days before retirement.
- Complete a Resignation Form signed by your supervisor, and submit to your Human Resources Employee Services Specialist.
- If you're enrolling in PEBB health care coverage, send your retiree coverage election form to the Health Care Authority (HCA) no later than 60 days after your district or COBRA coverage ends. If you choose an alternate qualified health plan, you must notify HCA that you are waiving your right to the PEBB program or you give up all rights to the program at a later date.
Review the full DRS Retirement Planning Checklist.
Wondering when you should retire during the year? Read this DRS article on how your retirement date could effect your pension.