As we work to enact our Equity Policy, HR is examining what it means to establish and promote anti-racist practice through the Student Teaching/ESA Internship Program. This year, we are prioritizing a redesign of the approval process to include institutional, internal and individual audits.
HR is currently accepting recommendations for Cooperating Teacher/Mentor for the 2020-21 school year. Please submit your recommendations for yourself or your colleague using the 20-21 School Year Cooperating Teacher/Mentor Recommendation Form.
All recommendations will be reviewed by HR staff. HR will reach out directly to those recommended about the role of a Cooperating Teacher/Mentor.
Minimum Qualifications for Cooperating Teacher/Mentor include:
- A minimum of 3 years of successful teaching experience;
- Possess a valid continuing or standard teaching certificate;
- Knowledgeable and skillful in the area of specialization;
- Interest and desire to supervise student teachers/interns;
- Willingness to provide feedback and evaluations to student teacher/ESA intern, district, and educator preparation program; AND
- Willingness to share classroom experience with student teacher/ESA intern and to give complete responsibility for a period of time.
Once pre-approved, Cooperating Teacher/Mentor will be matched with a pre-approved student teacher/intern. These matches will consider the preferences of the Student Teacher/ESA interns, which may include:
- Racial or cultural identity;
- Subject/content areas and grade levels; AND
- Collaborative working styles, as well as feedback styles.
Please note that all pre-approved Cooperating Teacher/Mentor must have support from their building administrator to host a student teacher/ESA intern. Cooperating Teacher/Mentor may receive a stipend and/or clock hours based on the affiliate agreement with the educator preparation program. This is not managed by HPS directly.
If you have questions, please email Esther Lee.