There has been some confusion around 1:1 student connections. Here is information to provide clarity on this Whole Child strategy.
- Every student should be assigned one adult who checks in with them weekly, one-on-one
- Check-ins can occur during Zoom calls in a breakout room during class
- Check-ins can occur during advisory
- Consider the assigned elementary teacher or the advisory teacher as the assigned adult
- Other staff can also be assigned to a student. If that staff person does not report to you, please check with that person's supervisor prior to assigning them to a student
- Check-in durations can range from 10 to 20 minutes, depending on the nature of what comes up during the check-in
- If something comes up for a student where they need extra supports, the assigned adult should reach out to the counselor, social worker, administrator, or other appropriate school staff members who support student needs
- Check-ins should be logged
Here is a link to the Whole Child strategies catalogue with details regarding this strategy.
Please contact Kisa Hendrickson for any questions.