For items that are lost or stolen, our Risk Management Team will determine if the loss is covered by Highline Public Schools. If the loss is not covered, the individual may be responsible.
IMPORTANT: If personally-identifiable student or staff data is on a device you have lost or that was stolen, please contact Mark Finstrom directly at 206-631-3330.
Please review the information below as it relates to devices students use on site or take home, as well as staff devices. Note the reporting times and who to contact.
For students, devices include 1:1 electronic devices.
- Students report lost or stolen devices:
- To the School Office within 24 hours of loss. This is a requirement of all school district technology that you believe is lost or stolen. Users should provide as much information as possible regarding the device (i.e. make, model, district barcode/tag number).
- To the Police Department with 24 hours of loss. File a police report with the local jurisdiction in which the device was lost/stolen. Provide the case number to the school office.
For staff, devices include desktops, laptops, tablets, LCD projectors, TVs, document cameras, video cameras, etc. When a device is lost or stolen, please complete the following steps:
- Report lost or stolen devices:
- To the Security Department within 24 hours of loss at 206-631-6700. This line is answered 24/7. Users should provide as much information as possible regarding the device, including the make, model and district barcode/tag number.
- To the Police Department with 24 hours of loss. File a police report with the local jurisdiction in which the device was lost/stolen. Provide the case number to Technology Services at 206-631-7676 and Security at 206-631-7600.
*Please note, if the lost/stolen device is not reported within 14 days of loss, the device will need to be replaced by the user at their expense.
Decisions on Replacing Lost/Stolen Items
Our Risk Management Team will determine if lost/stolen items worth less than $50,000 will be covered by Highline Public Schools. Information the team considers during review:
- Was the technology...
- Locked up in a cart or cabinet or left out in the open?
- Secured in a room with a locked door or staff member present or left unattended?
- Identified immediately as missing by completing Security and Police reports in a timely manner?