Our bold strategic plan goal of biliteracy for all students calls us to continue innovating and creating new programming to support all students with this goal. To gather input and hear feedback from stakeholders, we are reconvening the Highline Bilingual Advisory Committee.
Interested in serving as a member?
Please read the information below, and fill out the Google Form if interested. Individuals interested in serving on the committee will be selected on November 30.
The Highline Bilingual Advisory Committee serves to provide input on the following:
- Programming managed by the Language Learning Department
- Programming across departments related to the Bilingual Goal
- Short and long term strategic planning to ensure programming supports all students reaching the bilingual goal
- Three 2-hour meetings throughout the year. For 2020-21, meetings will be held on December 8, March 23 and May 18.
- Agendas co-developed by the committee chair and directors of Language Learning will include:
- Presentations on topics the Language Learning Dept requests input
- Presentations on topics from other departments seeking input
- Consistent opportunities for members to share current experiences for consideration in developing and guiding policy
- The majority of input gathered will be advisory in nature, and all perspectives will be gathered -- however, in the event that a single response or statement is needed, and a consensus cannot be made in a timely manner, the chair shall call a vote requiring a simple majority with a quorum of ten (10).
Members will be selected by a small committee led by the Language Learning directors with input by partners from the Highline Education Association, Teamsters Local 763 and community partners. Terms are
staggered at 2 and 3 years, renewable once. Participation to be confirmed annually by supervisor, when applicable, considering impact on workload.
- 8 teachers total
- Elementary ELL program focus
- Secondary ELL program focus
- Elementary DL program
- Secondary DL program
- Special Education
- Secondary World Language
- Two at large
- 2 community members
- 2 principals
- 2 secondary students (at least 1 current ELL-qualified)
- Whenever possible, student members will be partnered with a secondary teacher member from the same school
- 2 bilingual paras
- 1 central office staff
Ex Officio Members (non-voting when matters require a vote)
- Executive Director of Teaching, Learning, and Leadership
- Directors of Language Learning
- Staff reporting directly to the Directors of Language Learning
At the last meeting of each year, officers shall be selected for the following year. Officers will include:
- Chair-- co-develops meeting agendas; consults on special topics as needed between meetings
- Co-chair -- assists chair as needed, and serves as chair in chair’s absence
If you have any questions please contact Bethany Plett.