Become a 2021-22 SY Cooperating Mentor
Cooperating Mentors are an invaluable part of developing future educators through hosting student interns (student teachers, counseling interns, etc.). Cooperating Mentors provide ongoing feedback and evaluations, share their expertise in classroom management and instruction; and provide opportunities for interns to put skills they’ve learned from their program into a real, classroom setting to become a successful certificated educator!
If you’d like to host a student intern for the 2021-22 school year, please submit your application using the 21-22 SY Cooperating Mentor Application Form. All submissions will be reviewed by Human Resources. Cooperating Mentor pre-approval is valid for three academic years.
Minimum Qualifications for Cooperating Mentors include:
- A minimum of three years of successful teaching experience;
- A valid continuing or standard teaching certificate;
- Knowledgeable and skillful in the area of specialization;
- Interest and desire to supervise student teachers/interns;
- Willingness to provide feedback and evaluations to student teacher/ESA intern, district, and educator preparation program; AND
- Willingness to share classroom experience with student teacher/ESA intern and to give complete responsibility for a period of time.
Once pre-approved, you will be matched with a pre-approved student teacher/intern. These matches will consider the preferences of the student intern, which may include:
- Racial or cultural identity;
- Subject/content areas, grade levels, & location; AND
- Collaborative working styles, as well as feedback styles.
Please note that all pre-approved Cooperating Mentors must have support from their building administrator to host a student intern. Cooperating Mentors may receive a stipend and/or clock hours based on the affiliate agreement with the educator preparation program. This is not managed by Highline directly.
If you have questions, please email Esther Lee.