Enrolling or Making Changes to Your Benefits
Enrolling or Making Changes to your Benefits
You may make changes to your benefit choices once a year during the open enrollment period. Outside of this period, you can add or drop dependents if there has been a qualifying event. Coverage will be effective for newborns on their actual date of birth. If you have been recently married, coverage becomes effective the 1st of the month after date of marriage.
You have the following time periods to enroll:
- 60 days from birth/adoption to add a child
- 30 days from date of marriage to add a spouse and stepchildren
- 30 days to add a spouse or children if there has been a loss of other group coverage
- 30 days to enroll dependents for voluntary benefits
- Many of your benefits are on a pre-tax basis so the IRS requires you to have a qualified change in status in order to make changes to your benefits.
Types of Qualifying Events
- You get married or divorced
- You enter into a state registered domestic partnership
- You have a child or adopt one
- An enrolled family member dies
- You (or your spouse) go on a leave of absence
You waived coverage for yourself or your family member because of other coverage and that coverage is lost for qualified reasons
If you are declining enrollment for yourself or your dependents because of other health insurance coverage, you may be able to enroll yourself or your dependents in our plans provided that you request enrollment within 30-60 days (depending on carrier) after your other coverage ends.
To add or remove dependents from Premera, Kaiser, United Concordia Dental or NBN vision during a qualifying event, complete and return the applicable enrollment form to Human Resources.
All changes to the WEA Select Aetna/UHC medical plans or WEA Select Willamette Dental plan must be requested online through the WEA.
Unless one of the above Qualifying Events apply, you may not be able to obtain coverage under our insurance plans until the next open enrollment period.
Your legal spouse or state registered domestic partner is eligible for coverage as well as any of your children (biological or step) up to age 26. Coverage is also available beyond age 26 for incapacitated children. Please see Human Resources for more information if you have questions on dependent eligibility.